DISCLAIMER: I do not necessarily believe any of the ways these people live...in fact I am usually seriously desturbed by it and have learned there are things to pray for that I had not even thought of before. And with that said...
So, I know this is not really considered a true form of educational T.V. but I rather enjoy watching Wife Swap. It is a series where they seem to choose two completely opposite families and the wives switch places for a two week period. Durring the first week they are to abide by the rules of the household. Then week two they decide the rules and the house must then follow the way they choose to run things. Then, at the end they do a recap and the wives sit down and confront the other family.
The show runs about one hour long and each time they pick such an odd combonation. Let me give you an example of two of my favorites. Last week there was an episode where they took your typical Hollywood mom and swapped her with a country girl. They really like to pick extreme examples for this show and believe it or not it is very interesting to watch. Tonight I was a little skeptical as I was not entirely sure I wanted to commit that hour to the television when there is cleaning and sleeping to do. But, I tuned in to see what would happen. And believe it or not, this one made me cry.
Tonights show swapped a woman who was litterally a servant in her house. She totally gives a new definition to housewife. She did everything around the house and let the husband rule over her. Her only rooms of the house were the kitchen and laundry room. She dressed in her husbands old hand-me-downs, served his friends and let him have all say over house, time, and money as she even had to ask for money any time there was something to buy. Her opposite, was a lady named Bella. Bella was a "goddess" and head of a wikan church. Her life was spent in worship to her. Her husband did all the work, all the cleaning, and she spent time practicing her witch craft. There entire house was full of things from broomsticks to eye of newt (aka lizards that were dead and in a jar). They talked with fairies, talk to elves and have a small group of followers that come over all the time to serve and practice ceremonies.
Now, you can only imagine how difficult this switch would be. Now, I am not saying that this show is full of moral values, but it is very interesting to watch. After the first week, the two women come in and get to play by their own rules. This, is my favorite part to watch as I get to see what kind of changes occur. I have to let you know right now I do not condone either behavior but I do think it is a fun show to watch as I try to understand people more fully. After they spend the second week trying to impart their values on the other family things get even rougher, but they also seem to leave some great changes in place. That, is my favorite especially as each of them (husbands and wives) get a different perspective on their family and life. I know, they are still unbelievers and don't live for anything that will last, but I still love to see the positive effects the wife swap has.
Tonight, I actually teared up as the father from the wikan family began to cry. He had learned so much the last week. The wife came in and began to clean and take care of the house and cook for once which the guy had done before going to work his twelve hour days at the tattoo parlor. She took the girls, who were used to spending their days studying magic, making brooms, talking to faeries, to cheerleading class, and brought in a real tutor. She also helped the man learn what it was to be a man and a father. He began to come home from work every night to eat dinner with the family, he also began teaching his children about building things and fixing them. He broke the plate, the alter to the wikan church, the one symbol of all they had stood for. At this moment, he decided he was waisting his life and he needed a change. His response at the end was so heartwrentching as he began to cry when he told his wife it was to be all about the family and not their "church." Yep, and when he teared up I couldn't help it.
The other guy learned some lessons as well. He learned how hard it was to have to ask for money every single time you needed to buy anything and also what it was like to spend all your time cleaning and serving. The young boy learned to do laundry and some chores. When his wife returned he had learned to include her in his activities, to buy her some girlie clothes rather then his old ones, and to let her have a day to herself. In both of these houses the women also learned a lot thought I thinkk we see more of what the guys learned. Anyways it is a great show...I think and so I had to share. Besides when is the last time you got choked up watching T.V.?
5 comments:
Weirdo. Pick a color. :P
Quick recap. They just run the household for a week nothing inappropriate goes on. Oh and I do pick a color...quit often. (make it pink, no blue...)(flashbacks from Sleeping Beauty)
Hey Boobie what do you think..You are the "Hollywood Wife" i am the "country wife" he he you think we could get on wife swap after you find a man you want to marry? Coule be intresting and dont they get money too....Love jaime
Jaime, I am not quit Hollywood...I don't spend a tenth of what they spend, though I spend. Plus, other then my haircolor no part of me is plastic or been edited minus a missing appendix. Though comparatively I am much more Hollywood then you and you are much more country then me. SO....lets just see what happens if I get married and then I am not sure but we can try it. You might be waiting quit sometime yet though. ; )
im might be waiting a while but your worth the wait and it could be fun ha ha. Plus i might need a break sometime and want to see city life for 2 weeks but i guess ill have to leave my shotgun at home darn...i could teach you kids how to hunt though, they can come to the country it would be like camp visiting aunt Jaime oh how fun....oh and off the sub a little Grandma showed me our family tree it will be fun to tell you about call me.
Post a Comment