Monday, July 10, 2006

The love of the Dance

I have been back out in the dancing world a bit more lately and I partake I realize how much I have missed it. I sat there tonight as my friend is about to depart to New Mexico, she has played quit the role in my dancing career the last two years and will be missed. So now what is next? My class is about to end and finally things are begining to calm. What to do? Dance!

For anyone who has never found the love for dancing I cannot even fathom. It is one of my favorite things to do. I watched tonight and caught up with some old friends. Yep, there is little that compares to the movement and the way we feel and express music. God has taught me so much about chasing after Him even when there are good things out there. Dancing is one of these things and I have had to learn many a lesson.

I may never stop dancing for I so dearly love it but there have as of late been other priorities. When I first began to learn swing it became an idol. I wanted so badly to do it all the time it engulfed me. I litterally thought of dance, talked about dance and tried to dance all the time. It was becoming a five or six night of the week thing and beyond that my social life evolved around it. I was staying up all night to hang out after dancing and my alarm would go off. I had to run home and change and get my butt to work. Basically though I did not fall to far I began to slip away from God and my walk was feeling the change.

There were also other problems with the scene besides the obsession with it. I am very picky with my physical boudries with guys and somehow when you dance you loose much of that. This is not always a negative thing and can be innocent but is not always. Most often it is not and that is when the situation becomes uncomfortable. Think of it this way; dancing is a lead and follow activity. I don't want this to sound extremly bad but someone is leading your body and the way that it moves. This does not bother most girls and I am not going to judge them for it. However, being where my standards are it has always bothered me. I will many a times stop literally in the middle of the dance and say no or just refuse to follow the move. This may seem really silly but I don't care who you are some of those moves are not void of wrong intentions. The difference is in most cases both parties claim innocence with their mouths and deny it by the way they move, the level of closeness they get and the attitude behind it. There are few guys I literally trust especially when I am that close and at supposed to let them lead me. Um besides that I am human to and want do nothing that will cause me to stumble or allow wrong thinking in any way. That means emotionally, and physically as well. So this can cause many problems when I am out and trying to social dance. So between loving it so much and trying to find a partner I could trust I spent my life becoming a "swing-kid".


Then, God reminded me through some sin where my life was at. I was getting better at dancing and begining to compete. I was in search of a dance partner though I sort of had one but really wanted someone I felt I could really follow and trust entirely. It was after months of this God woke me up and I am so thankful. He made me realize where my life was and how empty that lifestyle was when He was left out of it. I then stepped back and took a closer look at where my life was headed. Sometimes the things that are good need to give way for things that are better. I don't think we should ever give up our hopes and dreams, but be willing to allow God to fill our passions.

For I now willingly spend my time to love and pursue the Lord rather then to try and build my own glory. Will I still do all these things...Yes! But they are not to consume my first love or my time. God has taught me what role dance can take and though I still get out as much as possible it will never take the place of Him again. That my friend I am so thankful for.

3 comments:

Brent Klontz said...

I think anything . . . even a good thing can become an idol. I am glad you have recognized where you struggle and can now use dancing as a means for His glory and your joy. Have fun dancing and living for Him!

Heather said...

Thanks for the encouragment. Sometimes just knowing where I want to be and how sinful I am just can really weigh me down. There is definatly joy in my life but I just see how short I continue to fall. Always...a work in progress...though think if He did not continue to refine us and He just left us how we were.

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.