Saturday, February 03, 2007

Be joyful

I Peter 1:6-9
In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith-more precious then gold that perishes though it is tested by fire- may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. Though you have not seen him, you love him. Though you do not now see him you believe in him and rejoice with joy that is inexpressible and filled with glory, obtaining the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

I love this because so often we run to vs. on trials and try to "work" through the situation rather then running to them to remind us of the treasure we have and command called joy. This is such a beautiful vs. that is telling us our faith is worth more then gold and it does get tested so that it will result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Christ. I want that response and now would be good. I want to see and know the inexpressible joy more and more (that joy being Christ). I love this as our responses to trials might be displayed simply as "I am being refined" or "I am in a painful place" rather then causing me at this moment to CHOOSE to respond in joy. Sometimes we can't find it or we don't know how or we might like to wallow in our selfish sorrow. We all have felt it, the pain that draws us away and then nearer to God.

I hope I never have to go through what Job did in order for my faith to be tested, for me to really see and rely on God and not the false securities the world holds before me. I want my life to result in joy. In a love song and to remember God's Spirit lives within me. I wish I always acted as such rather then disregarding what I know is right and choosing sin. Won't heaven be so great? A time where we will no longer struggle with the battles of sin. A time where we will finally know completion in the presence of our beautiful God and savior, our KING! There is something my pastor said once that I wrote on a card and it is extremely encouraging to me. "God did not tell you the day or the hour so that you would live like it was today."

Too bad my life falls short of that. Too bad sin is apparent. But, then I remember...
..."my grace is sufficient for you for my strength is made perfect in weakness..." (II Corinthians 12:9)

1 comment:

Amy said...

Heather this is so true...we need to more often look back on the fact that it is a command to be joyful in all things. It is so hard to CHOOSE JOY when trials are in our lives, but God will bring us through it.