This afternoon I was watching a music video put out by one of my favorite bands. The words of the song are so beautiful and it definatly stirrs up emotions like all songs. As I sat there and watched the peaceful and hopeful video I noticed a cross on Johns neck. Most likely it means nothing but I wish I had an opportunity to ask him why he wears it. The cross is not just a decoration. Would I walk around wearing a coffin around my neck, or a pitch fork, or a disected frog? I know those are strange examles but there is a representation behind the symbol some wear so filipantly.
Then, I watched more of the video and I just listened to the lyrics. I don't know where John's stand is on God, or if he even has one. The words in the song talk about a hope and finding better days. There are a couple of lines that struck me the most while listening. "And the one poor child who saved this world.
There's 10 million more who probably could. If we all just stopped and said a prayer for them." What does prayer mean to unbelievers? If they are praying to a God they don't believe in, one they don't trust or have a relationship with then there is no hope in empty words. However, if there is a God and most people believe this as a truth then how do they think they are going to heaven? If there is a God and the Bible is where His word is, then He has layed out how we should live within the pages. People don't want the pages, they want a God they make up. One who they call on in times of trouble though refuse to obey. They want one who say do what you want, live how you want, roll around in your messes and then call on me when one night you don't know what to do. And yes, God does say call on Me, but when you do I will change you and you will want to live for me and more and more like me.
The other line in this song brings about the idea of forgiveness. "So take these words, And sing out loud. Cuz everyones' forgiven now.'Cause tonight's the night the world begins again." Yes, and that would be true for anyone who would call and believe in God and accept the sacrifice of His Son Jesus on the cross for our sins. How beautiful is that joy and truth and yet few will ever know this is a fact and not just some empty words that a longing heart will sing. When people feel guilty or think they should have lived better they try to fix their life and make themselves worthy of heaven because they have decided this is an effort worth making. What they fail to realize is they cannot perfect themselves for even our best deeds are like filthy rags to a holy and perfect God. They don't understand that forgiveness is possible. Then later in the video or toward the end you see carved on a tree trunk, one word per trunk, the words; truth, faith, hope, and love. They are seeking these things but where in the world can they find them? They would find the true definition if they only looked to the creator and stopped looking to the created.
I love this song and this video as it holds much more meaning to me. It is funny how even unbelievers can preach elements of the gospel without even knowing it. It does however break my heart for those who will always be searching for those things. They may find the ideas of them temperarily which can distract them long enough to keep them ocupied. But, there will be only one thing that last and that is worth finding. Now, my heart just breaks for them but I am thankful of the reminder of the beautiful message I can see in their song. Here are the full lyrics.
The song is by the Goo Goo Dolls
Better Days
(John Rzeznik)
And you asked me what I want this year
And I'll try to make this kind and clear
Just a chance that maybe
We'll find better days
'Cause I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
Designer love and empty things
Just a chance that maybe
We'll find better days
So take these words
And sing out loud
Cuz everyone's forgiven now
'Cause tonight's the night
The world begins again
I need someplace simple where we could live
And something only you could give
And that's faith and trust and peace while we're
Alive
And the one poor child who saved this world
There's 10 million more who probably could
If we all just stopped and said a prayer for them
I wish everyone was loved tonight
And somehow stop this endless fight
Just a chance that maybe we'll
Find better days
1 comment:
Hey, yeah, I remember that video and the accompanying lyrics and how they caught my attention as well. You made a great observation about how every person is born with the dangerous desire to make a god to suit themselves; one that's managable with their own personal preferences. In essence, they are worshipping themselves - no wonder life without the Triune God of the Bible is so empty!
Great post Heather, take care!
Post a Comment