I am sitting in front of the computer in my P.J.'s. Back from an awesome weekend of snowboarding in Colorado and attempting to get back in the groove. Work is in a couple hours and I finally got about eight hours of sleep. I am finding random bruises all over (war wounds "?) and realizing how sore my muscles are. I had an amazing time except I was missing the "God" in it all.
I went out of town with some fellow believers and we headed out late Friday afternoon. Before departing I had spent a few minutes with the Lord at Starbucks and then headed out to meet up with everyone. All packed up and ready to go we were off headed for an 8 hour drive which would make our arrival time about midnight. This was going to be a great weekend hitting the slopes of Durango, Colorado.
I knew I was on this trip with a group of Christians, but not knowing any of them too well I was not sure what to expect. My first shock was there was no prayer before we left. This doesn’t seem like a big deal perhaps but I am so used to seeking the Lord and being encouraged to do so by the believers I usually hang out with before doing anything. Then, the music choice...well I don't actually know what it was but I was in the mood for some worship tunes. That made me the odd man out. I requested we pop in a C.d. I had brought but the driver (the college pastor) wanted to listen to something like Eagles or Days of the New. Oh, well. I would just try and read my Bible and thank the Lord on my own. I was a bit discouraged by this but still excited for my weekend.
There is something about car rides that makes me quickly antisocial and rather lethargic. Maybe I have A.D.D. or it is the lack of movement but even when we go on mission trips as soon as I hit the car it is like I am being soothed to sleep. Because of this I generally try to have some quit time or read the Word. This time however it did not work. We were packed in rather tight and I tend to be a bit motion sick when I read-especially if I can not move. So I did not get far into a study. I decided to take advantage of the tight crammed situation and get to know the people I was on the trip with instead.
The ride was long but it allowed me to get to know some of my new friends a little better. We made it safe and were in the rooms at about 12:30am. I had not had really much sleep the night before so off to bed it was. I awoke about 6:30 to someone’s alarm and got going so as to try and get ready. I ran out of time. This was my fault as I could have woken up earlier but was so tired already I assumed I would find time for a quiet time later. There was no time again as they quickly rushed us to breakfast and straight from there into the vans to head to the rental place. I was beginning to feel really thirsty for some prayer time or time in the Word and hoped someone would say anything about God. No luck. He was forgotten again.
We sat on the first lift and quickly slid off to get our boot in the bindings and begin boarding the Colorado mountain. I had brought with me a jacket that hooked up to my little radio. This was a blessing in disguise. My first run down, I was with a girl named Krista. She was fairly new to boarding but we decided to hang out together. That meant for me lots of waiting and teaching time. Upon one of these moments waiting at the end of a rather steep part I accidentally changed the station I was listening to and found a Christian station (Passion) now coming from the speakers in my hood. Praise God! I was so excited and music ministers to me so much. Hurray for Jesus! I now was cruising down the mountain singing praises to the Lord. Only God knows how much this meant to me but it made my day that is for sure. And it was neat because the worship had put me in such a great mood I was more patient with her and that in turn blessed her. What a great God we serve!
This radio kept God in my ear, on my mind and on my lips. I remember crashing at one particular spot on the mountain and sitting back up just completely in awe. Before me was a snow-covered mountain with pine all around. In the distance were other snowcapped mountains and big clouds and the blue sky. It was huge and breathtaking and made me feel so powerless before it. There are moments you see a glimpse of how big God is. This was one of those moments.
We spent all day boarding and I had only a brief moment to chat with someone I did not know at all. We were on a lift on our way up and Krista and me began talking. She asked me something about guys and I don't have a clue what is what now but I had an opportunity to tell her I was just keeping in prayer and trusting God for it. Remember we were not alone on the lift for there were about 3 other people on. I did not get to chat with anyone on this lift but tried to talk about God just loud enough that they could hear. Then on the third time up the guy sitting next to me began to chat with me. The conversation was not about the Lord, but it was about my little radio station coming from the speakers in my jacket. It was at this moment I realized everyone who sat on the lifts with me was listening to Christian radio with me. (You never know what they heard or if seeds were planted but only that they listened to something they may have never turned on of their own desire). Besides I really do look for ways to share the Lord in everything. Sometimes the things you least expect open up doors for opportunity.
We went out to dinner that night all completely abused (by the ice and falling). You would have thought we had all been beaten by the way we slowly twaddled into the restaurant. We were all so sore and tired it was difficult to stay awake. We went back to our hotel and prepared to sleep (7pm). I was so excited because the three girls I roomed with were all in line for the shower so now I was alone in my upstairs bedroom and finally could spend some time in prayer and study. It was only about twenty minutes or so but I was so refreshed and felt amazing. Then it was time for shower and sleep as I was begining to feel more like a zombie then a human.
I plopped into bed by Krista who was reading some type of Christian book. She asked to keep the light on and I said that would be fine. Then she turned to me and said, "so tell me about these rules you have for dating guys." I was a little tired and forgot she had asked me that on the ski lift but knowing I did not have time to explain before we got off the lift I promised to tell here my beliefs on guys and dating later. Now was that time I guessed. I was not sure how long I would stay awake but I agreed to another conversation about guys. It seems no matter where you go if you are in a group of girls this subject will come up. So I rubbed my eyes and sat back up and we began to chat.
At about 10pm we had conversed about many situations and circumstances and I was able to encourage her to wait on the Lord. This was exciting as it was one of our first deep conversations involving the Lord and she thanked me for staying awake so long to talk with her. She told me afterwards she had lots of encouraging ideas and things to pray about. I was encouraged that she was encouraged and off to sleep. Well sort of but that is a different and mini story for later.
Up again before we were ready. We crawled out of bed realizing muscles we did not know we had were sore. We all went to breakfast groaning everytime we had to step up or sit. It was rather a funny situation. So I stretched, got in the car and began day two. I had a short moment of prayer with God in the car and then was interrupted but I said my good mornings and my thank you's. We spent half the day on the slopes and then headed for our eight-hour drive back home.
I was groggy and trying so desperately to want to chat but the whole car ride thing did it again. I laid my head on the seat and just listened to the conversations going on all around me. Then when we were about 2 or three hours from home I realized Krista had a CD player. I had brought about 40 CD’s, but no player and so I asked Krista if I could use hers. Huge blessing again! She agreed and so thirsty for worship tunes I popped in Ten Shekel Shirt. It was one of my favorite times of the trip. I then listened to Paul Wright, David Crowder and just spent some time eyes closed, head back, praising God through song. It was dark and night and the stars were incredible. Way to put me in the best mood ever! I was so refreshed again but realizing how much I missed home. I missed fellowship and prayer with other believers.
It was this moment I was wondering why on a college group trip was God not remembered? I guess it can be easy if you don't make a point of it and I wish they had. I love these friends and am not judging them because I know they love the Lord. God had brought one opportunity on the way home to pray as a group. I was so excited to finally be a part of this time. However, the situations left me missing God in our weekend. I just missed the leadership and times of going before the Lord for everything. I missed long discussions about what He is doing and time spent alone. It was fun and it really just made me miss what I have at home even more.
So all in all I was kept safe and had a blast. But I thank the Lord for the reminder and for the ache that He and only He will fill. I defiantly felt thirsty and can't wait to connect with my friends again. It was such an encouragement because I think I so often take what I have here for granted but just missing it for a couple of days made me see how blessed I am to be surrounded but such a great group of believers who stir me on daily to follow Christ. Thank you all and I pray God will continue to ignite each and every one of us daily.
2 comments:
Hey Heather,
I'm glad you were able to enjoy God's creation and be able to snow board for a day and a half. . . fun, fun, fun! I also love fellowship and I agree that it only occurs if we are purposeful about it. It can be so easy to be weighted down by things. . . even good things, that we "miss God." However, I'm glad you used little opportunites to leave seeds for Jesus. Keep it up.
Heather, my friend, we missed you EQUALLY. I'm so thankful for your opportunities, though, to be a good witness... opportunities that you always take advantage of. :) That's awesome.
OH, and uh, let's hope and pray that bruise of yours gets better quickly. ;) Ha...
Post a Comment