Thursday, August 03, 2006

What are you on the planet for?

You know the verses in the Bible that speak about the body and it's many parts? What about those that talk about what we are to live for? Or, if you were around the Paasch's this weekend the new question is something along the lines of what are we made for? (But each person answers specifically about what they think they are made for. Well, I don't know for sure what God will do but I can tell you what I know.

My answer to the question was God made me with lots of passion for many things and the energy to carry it through. By this I mean there are few things I won't try and very few I won't enjoy. I take the opportunities I see in front of me weighing the importance at the time and searching out their value. That passion and love for about everything mixed with the love God gave me to share with people puts me in many different circles. I love people, I love new people I just sometimes need someone to point them out to me as my focus can be distracted. Once I am focused on something I am very driven and will do my best to keep up and follow up. I will do what I can I just pray my focus will always be right.

So, lately there was something I had been missing. There was something distracting me the last couple months or a number of things and somehow I just felt like I was having a difficult time. It was not till this weekend that things finally began to make sense. I realized through this that though my life was joyful I was missing out on something. My love for sharing the gospel. This excites me more then just about anything and so I felt I had been pushing it aside and throwing other things in my pathway.

We had gone out to Mill a couple weeks ago to share and I had an awesome time yet I was still stand-offish. Somehow I had let my distrust and attitude toward guys specifically take charge and I was focusing more on that in every situation rather then looking for the opportunity to share. I know this seems very silly but I am rather stand-offish with guys and choose to be nice when I want. I did not used to be that way but have just let all the negative situations with guys affect how I would see them. Let me tell you how often they mistake my niceness for flirting. I have even had several of my guy friends at one time or another think it was OK to grab me and kiss me without my permission though only one manage to smack me on the lips. Lynne pointed out there was some sin involved as I am called to love others. I just can be very outgoing and nice and don't like guys who flirt with me, or the ones that try and pick me up. I felt if I just ignored them all, even the good ones, that I would not have to deal with them liking me or getting the wrong impressions. My irritations from customers at work, guys I know who dance, random friends, and the constant feeling of needing to protect my self began to come out in sin. It even began to affect the relationship with the guys in my life who are very important to me and I began to miss their wisdom and company. Still, it is sin and I have been trying to be nice again and be myself and let God do the protecting.

This seeing things differently opened up opportunities I had been ignoring. I am so excited because there is a guy that I met at Starbucks. He is a bit older and has a daughter my age and we have been chatting the last couple mornings. I go there everyday before work to do my quiet time and so I decided one morning to look up from God's word and began to seek out opportunities again as I realized how much I missed sharing. It really is the thing that sparks me the most. When I looked up I found an opportunity and have about another week or two before this guy goes back to California.....I will keep you posted but he said he would meet me there again tommorow for day three of discussion.

The second opportunity this week was with a co-worker. I have three co-workers who are Catholics, three who claim nothing, one who is Muslim, one who goes to the church I go to and another who is a believer and attends a small Bible church but occationally goes to the college group with me. I look for opportunities daily to share but sometimes forget. This week on lunch one day I decided to hang out with one girl who says she is Catholic. I was able to share my testimony and my sisters and completely lay out the gospel for her. I was so excited and I don't think she knew how to respond so she brought up something like a church retreat she had gone to. She will continue to be in my prayers.

My personal banker I am teamed up with also claims to be Catholic. I was able to share with her a couple weeks ago and try to continue it when I get an opportunity. There is also a guy there who I have invited to church on several occations...we will see. I guess I am just really excited and looking for more. I will be pursuing and praying and hope I let nothing drown that passion I have because it robs me of much joy. I can really tell the difference it makes in my life as I lack something when I am not sharing. I know God gifts us for a purpose even if I am only a seed planter I know that is one thing I am made for. That really gets me going and excites me. I don't know anything better.

2 comments:

Brent Klontz said...

The gospel is definitely the passion that gets me going as well! Keep it up sis.

Brian said...

I'll definitely keep those gals in my prayers. From your co-workers response of bringing up the retreat that she went to, this reminds me of what most unbelievers feel...that is, they are so concerned about the method of salvation (baptism, confirmation, attending an event) that they miss the point of true salvation and assurance that is spoken about in the Bible. Way to go Heather, keep on sharing!