So I know I should be accomplishing something right now...but I don't want to. ") There is much to do but when my mind is running all week it is nice to take what we'll call a "mini-break" a.k.a. a waste of time. Have you ever realized the value of time? Well, how about the value of break time? Or sleep time? Or time past? Let's go to time past.
Last week I was in a teller training class from Monday to Friday. In my class there were about 6 girls and 1 guy. Needless to say it was easy to make friends as we sought the knowledge behind becoming a "professional teller." The week was interesting as we ran through transaction after transaction and made more mistakes then we hope to ever make again. We had practice moments and breaks through out the day in which we were able to discuss. One of these became a particularly amazing opportunity for me to share the gospel. Hurray for Jesus.
I was planning on busting out of there as I have a midterm this weekend. The class was given about an hour and a half for a lunch break and as I was begining to get behind I decided to study. I ran to my car to grab my folder full of words I don't yet know and then returned to the classroom. When I got out to my car I soon discovered to my surprise I had left it all at home. What a waste of perfectly good study time I thought. (Kinda like this blog...though I am still going to take it) Then I decided to spend some time in the word as my allotted study times had been short as of late. So out came my study bible and notebook and into the classroom I went.
Can I study in the midst of noise? Only if I want to. There was conversation going on and being a bit social I soon joined in. I asked God, if there is an opportunity today may I take it and may you lead it. Then, one of the girls Casey, asked me about a boyfriend and the ring on my finger. I told her I did not have one but the ring was a purity ring and I wear it on my wedding finger as to be available without actually appearing that way. Then we began to discuss the reasoning behind it and we chatted about guys. Then this other girl Heather joined in. (I am not talking about one of my other personalities or myself). I began to elaborate on what I am looking for before I agree to date and was able to bring biblical priciples up. I then chatted about the reason for purity which is also linked to the Bible.
Then, as we continued to chat I found an open. I asked her about church and we began to explore this subject. She said she did not believe that she was going to hell because she was sleeping with her boyfriend. Then she pointed up to the sky and said smiling "me and God, we have an understanding. I do not need to go to church to go to heaven I can just be good." "Really, I said, you can just be good?" I asked her how she defined good and gave her some analagies showing her sin is still sin to a perfect God. I told her I also did not think that she was going to hell because she was sleeping with her boyfriend. I told her, it was because of sin and the fact that she is human and will never apart from Christ be a good person. Now you have to understand Casey a bit more before I continue on. Casey, is a strong, spunky, sporty girl with a very strong personality. I however am not intimidated by her personality but did expect trouble at this point. God however, had other plans in the conversation.
After this she began her argument about how could I believe everything that the Bible said. "I think it changes with the times," she said. And that is how she wanted to live it. I then grabbed a piece of paper from my notebook and drew a square. "Casey, lets say this is God's standard. Do you think that He is going to lower it based on a changing society? Or do you think it stays the same and.." Before I was able to finish my sentence I drew a line below and she said "Oh, we are lowering it to fit what we want." "Yes, your right." So then I asked to read her a short vs. From the Bible and we chatted a few more minutes. She did not accept Christ in that moment but I really felt like even just grasping that point instead of punching me for telling her she is a sinner who will only be saved by faith, grace, and repentance was a great opportunity. And did I mention, Heather was there listening the entire time and had comments to add and questions every now and then as well. I was so thankful God had given me an opportunity to share.
Now this week I have had opportunities to talk about ministry but not yet flat out share the gospel. Still hoping for those. It has been tons of busy, and tons of fun though. I have to send out another.....(We apologize for any interruption of thought here, but I was just attacked by a fly. Yuck. It was crazy. I flew right up to my face and then looked me straight in the eye. I screamed, being scared, hoping to scare it. It came back for more. Fearless little bugger. Then I smacked it. My heart is racing. It came back again. Oh, I am so scared of bugs....God is prepping me for the evil kamikaze bugs that live in Caborca. SCARY!. Did I mention I don't like bugs? Ewwwwww.)
1 comment:
What an encouraging opportunity! I am definitely encouraged by your boldness for the gospel. I like how you drew the square and got right down to the heart of the matter that God's standards never change. . . He is the same yesterday, today, and forever!
Post a Comment